Sunday 4 March 2012

Kuala Lumpur!


Monday 27th February
I woke up at 6am and was not excited for my 15 hour journey! I got picked up by a minibus and after picking more people up and driving to their office they realised i was on the wrong one so told me to get off it! Some Thai man was just telling me to follow him as he was on the phone trying to find where my actual bus was. Eventually he got fed up and didnt ask but told me to get on the back of his motorbike and drove around like a maniac to try and find where it was. This was while i had my massive backpack on and also carrying two other bags! I was stressed out haha but eventually he found some crappy looking van and told me to get in! Thankfully there was an English man in there who reassured me it was the right one and they would take me to Hat Yai bus station and not to a real life sequel to a 'Hostel' movie. 
At around 12pm after 5 hours in a boiling hot minibus i got told i had to get on some other bus which went to Kuala Lumpur. I found it just in time and got on. Considering people do this everyday you think they would be more organised! I love how when im travelling with Em it all ran smoothly but when im by myself its a mess! As soon as i got on the big bus to KL though it was all pretty funny, especially as i was the only tourist on the bus and i kept catching people staring at me!
Eventually at 10.30pm i got dropped off somewhere in the middle of Kuala Lumpur and the first things i could see were lots of shopping malls and a Nando's! Some lovely man pointed me in the direction of where my hostel was and after walking down some back streets in the dark trying not to look down after spotting a few cockroaches i arrived at my hostel - 'Reggae Mansion'. This hostel is incredible! I went to my dorm - 24 beds in one room but it was amazing and everyone had their own individual pods which were MASSIVE! After a long day i was extremely happy to go straight to sleep without an alarm set for the morning.


Tuesday 28th February
I woke up after 11am, after missing my free breakfast (boo!) but felt so much better! I showered and got ready which was nice as the hostel was amazingly clean, and then went off to have a look around KL. I asked some nice guy at reception where to go and he pointed out a few suggestions on a map for me and told me where the metro station was which was nice! 
I first of all went to Central Market, had a look around and got some lunch. Then i went to find the famous Petronas Towers. I was very impressed with myself as i found my way there without any problems on the Metro and the towers were amazing! I promised Amy i would get a picture of myself outside them so i asked a randomer to take some snaps for me!
I then went inside the shopping centre connected to it and was amazed to find Chanel, Dior, Mulberry etc. Its such a nice change from haggling at stalls. After window shopping for a while and trying to take pictures of the Tiffanys without the guard looking (photos were banned in the mall) i went for a walk around the park before heading back to the hostel. I also had to go and book my bus ticket for singapore too so went on a mission around KL to find the bus station!
When i got back to Reggae Mansion i met Rachel, James and Matthew who were also travelling by themselves. We had dinner together and went to the bar to drink lots of wine and beer! We persuaded Matthew to get a taxi to the airport later and not get the train so he could relax and drink beer until his taxi around 2am. We also met Claire in the bar who had just arrived to the hostel and gave us half her pizza!
When we said goodbye to him we all went to bed as me and Rachel had booked ourselves onto a tour for the next day and didnt want to be too tired and hungover! I went back to my dorm and after drunkenly trying to get up the ladder to my pod i went to bed. This was after a group of 6 boys who were so drunk came back and also had trouble with their bunks! I could not stop laughing when i heard one of them who was slurring fall off the ladder and make a massive thud. They were hilarious and were grateful that i would still speak to them the next morning - i dont think other people in our dorm appreciated it haha!

Wednesday 29th February
I woke up early to pack and leave my pod in my dorm before i went on the day trip as i was leaving KL that evening. We persuaded James to come on the tour with us too and Claire also decided to come so there was a nice group of us! Our tour guide picked us up and he was hilarious. This is a very flattering picture of him.
So the tour was to show us the 7 wonders of Kuala Lumpur. This included a temple, Little India, the National Mosque, a Memorial site, the Palace, Malay Village and the Hindu temple caves! At the mosque we had to cover up and we were boiling! It was disgusting how much we were all sweating! I think i looked pretty sexy though!
The Hindu temple caves were also pretty cool and we had to walk up 272 steps to get there. On the steps were lots of little monkeys which followed you which were cute! This is some of the guys doing the baywatch run up the final hurdle! When we got to the top it wasnt really that impressive! I also felt sick after the lunch we had to eat - it resembled something i have seen my dog poo on many previous occasions. Not great! These are some pics of the caves and the disgusting food. 

The tour was actually pretty good and was a very easy way to see everything in the city in one day. These are some more pictures of what we did! Our tour driver was tring to kill time at the end so took us to a chocolate factory where we had yummy samples of chocolate and coffee!


After the tour, we got dropped back to the hostel and hung around for a bit. As i didnt have a room James and Rachel sat around with me and then we went for dinner with Claire too. James had never had a Nando's before (weird that they don't have them in America) so he wanted to see what it was like. I was totally up for this as i was amazed there was one here and would get rid of the painful memory of whatever that crap was we had for lunch! James loved it!
We went back to the hostel bar and had some drinks before i had to leave for my night bus at 11.30pm. I hoped having some wine would help me sleep! They then walked me to the station and i started my journey to Singapore. 
I absolutely loved KL and could have easily stayed one or two more nights. It was made much nicer by the fact that the hostel was amazing too and i met some lovely people! I would definitely recommend staying at the 'Reggae Mansion' to anyone who goes to Kuala Lumpur!

No comments:

Post a Comment